Business & Commerce News:

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUpon

Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.

  • Not ‘poor enough’: Do people use London’s pay-it-forward schem...
    The schemes are in place to help people who are struggling with the cost of living. [TheTopNews] Read More.
    BBC NEWS – Business | Business & CommerceSat, August 22, 2026
    2 hours ago
  • US-Canada trade negotiations suspended, Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliatio...
    Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations with the United States late Friday, blaming "unfair" last-minute changes to Washington's proposed terms and announcing retaliatory tariffs against the U.S.Carney said the move comes as President Donald Trump's 50% tariffs on roughly $28 billion in Canadian goods were set to take effect at midnight.The breakdown came just days after Trump paused the 50% tariffs for three days and announced that the U.S. and Canada, subject to final documentation, had reached a "DEAL!"While Carney said progress had been made in recent weeks toward improving Canada's position and reaching an agreement with the U.S., he said the two sides ultimately could not finalize a deal.TRUMP PAUSES 50% TARIFFS ON CANADA HOURS BEFORE DEADLINE AFTER ANNOUNCING POTENTIAL DEAL"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians," Carney said in a statement."As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada's negotiators to return to Ottawa," he continued. "They have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute. However, last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal."The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) offered a sharply different account of the breakdown, saying Canada declined to finalize terms that had been agreed to earlier in the week."Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week," USTR Jamieson Greer said in a statement. "Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days."Greer said the U.S. had offered Canada significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos and lumber, along with a broader economic and national security partnership covering areas including digital trade, critical minerals, aerospace and export controls."This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest growing economy in the G7," Greer said.Carney said Canada would retaliate by matching the U.S. tariffs.US, CANADA STRIKE DEAL TO OPEN BRIDGE LINKING DETROIT AND WINDSOR AFTER DISPUTE DELAYED LAUNCH"At midnight tonight, the U.S. intends to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods. Canada will match those tariffs… [TheTopNews] Read More.
    FOX BUSINESS – Latest | Business & CommerceFri, August 21, 2026
    4 hours ago
  • E coli and salmonella outbreak linked to alfalfa sprouts sickens dozens across m...
    A food safety alert has been issued over an E. coli and salmonella outbreak that has sickened dozens of people across 15 states, most of whom reported eating alfalfa sprouts before they fell ill, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.So far, 55 people have reported falling ill, including four hospitalizations.No deaths have been reported.FDA WIDENS CYCLOSPORA OUTBREAK INVESTIGATION TO SIX MORE STATES AS CONFIRMED CASES TOP 6,000The affected alfalfa sprouts were produced by Everything Sprouts and sold under the Calco and Everything Sprouts brands at retailers and grocery stores.Customers should throw away or return any of the affected products and wash surfaces that may have come into contact with sprouts.E. coli symptoms include stomach cramps, bloody diarrhea and nausea, and salmonella symptoms involve diarrhea, stomach cramps and fever.The CDC urged people to see a doctor immediately if they experience diarrhea and fever higher than 102 degrees, bloody diarrhea or diarrhea for more than two days, the inability to keep anything down, or signs of dehydration, including not peeing much, dry mouth and throat and feeling dizzy when standing.MICHIGAN REPORTS 2 DEATHS IN RARE PARASITE OUTBREAK THAT HAS SICKENED MORE THAN 11,000The majority of people sickened were in Minnesota, 21, and Wisconsin, 17; while two people were sickened in New York, North Dakota, North Carolina and Florida; and one illness was reported in Washington, South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New Hampshire and South Carolina.LETTUCE FARMERS PLOW CROPS BACK INTO SOIL AS CYCLOSPORIASIS FEARS TANK DEMAND FOR FRESH GREENSAlong with the CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are investigating the outbreak, which involves three strains of E. coli and one of salmonella.DOCTORS WARN YOUR 'STOMACH BUG' MAY ACTUALLY BE A PARASITE THAT'S HARDER TO DETECTOf those sickened, 46 were infected with E. coli, seven with salmonella, and two with both. The CDC said that some people were infected with more than one strain of the infections.The illnesses started in late May and continued through Aug. 8.This outbreak comes amid several other food-borne ones reported recently that are connected to jalapeños, iceberg lettuce, eggs and blueberries. [TheTopNews] Read More.
    FOX BUSINESS – Latest | Business & CommerceFri, August 21, 2026
    7 hours ago
  • Trump allows 300,000 metric tons of tariff-free beef imports in bid to cut price...
    President Donald Trump said Friday that he would allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef to be imported into the United States tariff-free for the next 90 days, with a commitment that the meat would be sold at 25% below current market prices.The announcement immediately drew backlash from cattle industry groups and several Republican senators who warned that increasing imports could hurt American ranchers.In a Truth Social post announcing the plan, Trump said it would "substantially lower" the price of ground beef for American families, arguing that prices had soared under the Biden administration as the domestic cattle supply had shrunk."As we work to rebuild this herd and help our ranchers, for the next 90 days, the United States will allow up to 300,000 metric tons of product for ground beef to be imported with no out of quota tariff," Trump wrote.A HISTORIC SHORTAGE IS SQUEEZING AN AMERICAN DINNER STAPLE, AND RELIEF COULD BE YEARS AWAY"We have a commitment that this beef will be sold at 25 percent below current market prices," he continued. "This deal will reduce prices for Americans while giving space for our Great American Beef Herd to grow again."After Trump's announcement, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association said it was "disappointed" by the plan, arguing that introducing below-market beef could negatively affect American cattle producers.Speaking with FOX Business' Nicole McManus, National Cattlemen's Beef Association CEO Colin Woodall urged the federal government not to interfere with the cattle industry."The best thing is to stay out of our business. That's what we want, first and foremost," Woodall said. "Let us work the way we do as producers to take care of our cattle, to take of our natural resources and to be able to grow."TRUMP PAUSES 50% TARIFFS ON CANADA HOURS BEFORE DEADLINE AFTER ANNOUNCING POTENTIAL DEALWoodall sharply criticized Trump's plan, arguing the president was overlooking strong consumer demand for U.S. beef."This is the third time in less than a year that the president has made a similar announcement about increasing imports in order to decrease the price of beef," Woodall said."And, once again, he's missing the point," Woodall continued. "He's missing the picture, and he's definitely lost the plot line. This is about demand. The consumer demands our product. The customer loves what we're producing. "We're producing the highest quality beef we ever have, and they have shown their willingness to pay for it. The American consumer… [TheTopNews] Read More.
    FOX BUSINESS – Latest | Business & CommerceFri, August 21, 2026
    8 hours ago
  • Boeing Engineers and Technicians Reject Contract Offer
    The union members also authorized a potential strike if a new agreement is not reached by October. [TheTopNews] Read More.
    THE NEW YORK TIMES – Business | Business & CommerceFri, August 21, 2026
    10 hours ago
  • TikTok agrees to pay $400 million to settle Justice Department children’s ...
    The U.S. Department of Justice has secured a $400 million settlement from TikTok and parent company ByteDance in a case related to children’s privacy legislation, the DOJ announced on Friday."This settlement is a major victory for American children and parents," Associate Attorney General Stanley E. Woodward Jr. said in a statement. "The Department's priority is ensuring that children are protected online and that companies entrusted with their personal information meet their legal obligations. This resolution secures a substantial recovery while reinforcing the protections that families expect and deserve."The lawsuit, related to compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, was filed by the Biden administration’s DOJ in 2024.UK TO BAN TIKTOK, YOUTUBE, OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA APPS FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16, STARMER SAYSThe Justice Department said the settlement is one of the largest ever reached in a case involving the privacy act.Under the terms of the settlement, TikTok and ByteDance will pay $300 million immediately and then $100 million "upon entry of an order vacating a prior consent decree entered against TikTok’s predecessor, Musical.ly."FEDERAL EMPLOYEES CAN DOWNLOAD TIKTOK ON GOVERNMENT DEVICES AFTER BYTEDANCE'S DIVESTITURE, DOJ SAYSThe Justice Department said that since the lawsuit was first filed, "TikTok has undergone significant changes to its ownership, management, compliance functions, and privacy practices.""The company has implemented extensive measures designed to strengthen safeguards for younger users, improve age-related controls, and enhance parental oversight," the DOJ added, saying that those developments have "strengthened protections for millions of American families."NEW MEXICO SEEKS MASSIVE PENALTY FROM META AFTER JURY FOUND TECH GIANT LIABLE FOR ENDANGERING CHILDRENThe DOJ said the settlement shows their commitment to protecting the public while also acknowledging the progress TikTok has made."The most important result is that children and parents are better protected today than they were when this case began," Assistant Attorney General Brett A. Shumate of the Justice Department’s Civil Division said in a statement. "This settlement reflects substantial progress, secures a significant monetary recovery, and brings this matter to a successful conclusion."TikTok did not immediately respond to FOX Business' request for comment. [TheTopNews] Read More.
    FOX BUSINESS – Latest | Business & CommerceFri, August 21, 2026
    11 hours ago
1 2 3 9

The Searchable USWebDaily.com and TheTopNews NewsBank Helps You Be Better Informed, Faster! Spread The Word.

Click or Tap to Go to McStreamy News, Info and Entertainment
Scroll Up